Sometimes a simple reminder is all we need to help us do the right thing. That’s the premise behind storm drain stenciling. Volunteers stencil Dump No Waste – Drains to River on storm drains in the hopes that seeing this message will make people a little more careful about what they allow to enter their storm drains.
Why is Storm Drain Stenciling Important?
Many people think that water pollution is caused by big business or large government facilities - places with pipes leading into the river. These are known as "point source" polluters. However, in recent years these sources have greatly reduced their negative impact on water quality. As a result, storm water runoff is now one of the leading causes of surface water pollution in DuPage County, according to the Illinois Environmental Protection Agency. The Storm Drain Stenciling program has been active in DuPage County since 1992, but stencils wear off and have to be re-stenciled regularly.
Who Can Participate?
- Families: Storm Drain Stenciling is a great family outing that teaches community involvement and helps the natural environment.
- Homeowner Associations: Stenciling the storm drains in your subdivision can help protect nearby rivers, creeks and ponds that you and your neighbors enjoy.
- School Groups: Classrooms, Student Clubs and Teams can stencil the storm drains near their school as part of a water cycle unit or a fundraising project.
- Scouting Groups: Boy and Girl Scouts, Indian Guides and Indian Princesses can do Storm Drain Stenciling with their group as a service project.
- Church Groups: Stewardship is made simple, fun and flexible through stenciling and it can be done for service days throughout the Spring, Summer and Fall.
- Service Organizations: Storm Drain Stenciling is great for Kiwanis, Rotary, Garden, Women's, Men's and other clubs looking for community service projects.
- Corporate Outings: Companies who are looking to extend a helping hand with a fun bonding experience can do so on their own schedule. No group is too large or too small for stenciling.
Supporting Municipalities in DuPage County
Approvals from the following municipalities have been confirmed by The Conservation Foundation. If your municipality is not listed, we will be happy to work with you to get approval in your area.
- Carol Stream
- Downers Grove
- Downers Grove Township
- Glen Ellyn
- Glendale Heights
- Hanover Park
- Naperville Township
- Villa Park
- Wayne Township
- West Chicago
- Winfield Township
- York Township
For more information contact Jan Roehll at 630-428-4500 Ext. 121 or email her.
We would like to thank our partner DuPage County Stormwater Management for helping to fund the storm drain stenciling program in DuPage County.